Thursday, 23 May 2013

It's Over and on to the Next Project

Seeking Artemis finished Tuesday at 4pm, I think it's right to say it was a successful exhibition 500 visitors viewed our work and gave all the work very positive feed back. Work was sold, none of mine  I didn't expect  to sell,  my work is not commercial enough.  Textile work to hang on the wall not framed and behind glass seems to scare the buyer. Maybe they worry about how to keep it clean.

The venue was in a very busy area of London between two stations Euston and Kings Cross / St Pancras, this meant that quite a few visitors were passers by with suitcases. Some of the visitors were even more colourful than my work!

I thought I would give a description of my work and close up images for those that are interested if your already bored switch off now.........

My Work

For me it was the idea of strong women that inspired my work.  Many women throughout history and into the present day whose strength is seen in a supporting role much as the caryatids support the fabric of this church. Using modern and traditional quilting techniques I created a body of work to honour such women 

Caryatids above the entrance to the Crypt

The Sign on the corner of Duke Street and Euston Road

I used the shape of the arches in the crypt to shape the top of the quilt, I then stitched the quilt including the three figures which I then cut out and filled the holes with textiles that can be seen through and used the lights to show it off  (the images below don't show this as they were taken on another quilt). Names of inspirational women were stitched onto the quilt using the sewing machine and added texture to the quilt with hand stitching and painted bonda web. When the whole piece was complete I used metallic foils to catch the lights. I was pleased with the results but there are things that I would have done different, we live and learn!

Inspiration Quilt

 painted bonda web and hand stitching

Used to fill the figures

Used to fill the centre figure

hand stitching and machine stitched name 'Mary Shelley'

The shapes  removed from the inspiration quilt were attached to three smaller quilts. I used machine and hand stitching on the quilts and as well as the cotton fabric I'd dyed and used in all the work, I included small pieces of silk, just to give a bit of interest. Again when they were completed I used foils and mounted the quilts on artists canvas! I was happy with these  the one on the left doesn't photograph well it was colour on colour (better in the flesh). These three were called 'The Jugglers', the reason is like all women they have everything in the air and occasionally something crashes to the floor.

Stitching on the figure

Machine, Hand Stitching and Foil

The lightest fabric is silk
The three final pieces where framed they were shapes foiled and  hand quilted keeping it very simple.

Hand Quilting, Painted Bonda Web and Foil

Hope your not dozing off!
Onto the next project now.....


  1. Such lovely work and so much hand stitching. I hope that I will be able to see it all in the flesh one day.

    1. Thank you Diane I don't think the work will be exhibited again!

  2. Your'e a clever woman Miriam, I was lucky to be able to visit the exhibition and it was brilliant. Your work is amazing!
    Looking forward to your next exhibition!

    1. Why thankyou Jacqueline, your very kind. Flattery will get you everywhere £££££ in the post!

  3. Your work looks lovely Miriam, especially the close up detail and I wish I could have seen it.