Monday 12 August 2013

FOQ


This year was my first visit to the Festival of Quilts! Yes I know I can hardly believe it myself, why have I never been before? There is always something else to do, well that wont happen again. Betsy went off for the weekend and Dave and I set off very early on Saturday morning for Birmingham. I'm glad we decided to stay overnight, Saturday we visited all the exhibitions, it was very busy. I did buy some bits for my next City and Guilds project after having a chat with Janice Gunner my tutor who had a stand.

There were so many lovely quilts, it was hard to decide which ones I liked the most. The quilt below received 'Highly Commended'  lovely colours and the workmanship was amazing, got to love the title.....NEVER AGAIN
Two Person Quilt- Alison Robins and Krista Withers - Never Again

After a nice dinner at the hotel a couple of glasses of wine a good night sleep and a lie in we were back to the NEC for a look around the stalls and some spending. It was much quieter on Sunday morning so as we passed the quilt than won the BEST IN SHOW I managed to get a photo. Even if you are not a fan of traditional quilts I think it would be hard not to admire this quilt! I think the Judges comments say it all 'An exquisite quilt'. Just a shame it wasn't placed in a better position so we could all take better photographs, I heard lots of moaning about that.

Kyoko Yamauchi- Thank You Father



Judges Comments
Anyway after the admiring it was down to shopping, here's my stash. Fabrics, bobbins, a few other bits and pieces and an African Basket. I'm happy and looking forward to returning next year......





Before I took Betsy to her other family I took her for a walk as always, I was bitten on the wrist by this nasty little black fly. It didn't hurt at the time but Friday night it woke me up and was painful but didn't itch and over the weekend I was rubbing antiseptic cream into it. It blistered and my wrist became very swollen, hot and rather nasty and the cream made it worse. This morning I went to the pharmacist but he said I needed an urgent appointment at the doctors it had gone septic, he was right now I'm on antibiotics. Well thats life full of the unexpected......

7 comments:

  1. Hi Miriam, I hope your wrist is improving, sounds nasty that is a fly I don't want to meet. I too went to the FOQ and agree with your comments about the winning quilt 'Thank You Father'. I actually spoke to The President of the Quilter's Guild about the bad lighting on Thursday morning but it looks like nothing was done about it. She did not seemed pleased that I brought it to her attention, but I was not the only person who thought it was a disgrace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There must be something nasty out there I am on antibiotics as well after developing a nasty lumpy thing on my leg which the Dr. Said is is prob. An infected dermatitis caused by an insect bitte ( yes it even made me visit the docs !) do you think we are under attack ( ha,ha )

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be something nasty out there I am on antibiotics as well after developing a nasty lumpy thing on my leg which the Dr. Said is is prob. An infected dermatitis caused by an insect bitte ( yes it even made me visit the docs !) do you think we are under attack ( ha,ha )

    ReplyDelete
  4. The winning quilt certainly was amazing, great use of colour and wonderful stitching. Hope the antibiotics kick in soon, what a shock to have such a reaction. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks as though FOQ is well worth a visit, and what lovely bits you bought too! Hope the bite improves soon, pesky thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've yet to go too but with both our birthdays and aniversary all around the same time we're usually up to something else. One day!!! And a lovely haul of goodies you have there too.

    Hope the bite heals soon, it's not nice when they go icky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to read your post, I was there for the weekend as well; before I'd only been for a day. Will certainly stay for 2 days again, there's so much to see. Enjoy the things you bought.

    ReplyDelete